Monday, April 6, 2020

To my friends who are living in fear during the COVID-19 outbreak


If you can honestly say that you are totally free of fear during this unprecedented time in our society, then this message is not for you. But if you are living in fear today and you are not a person of faith, I want to ask you: of what are you afraid? Are you afraid that you will lose income? That your standard of living will be diminished? …is your fear that of dying or is it because you fear for someone you love?…is this fear taking the joy away from your life? …are you anxious each day that you may become sick from the COVID-19 Caronavirus? If you are afraid of getting sick or dying from this disease, I want to ask whether you have a firm conviction about what will happen to you after you die? In other words, do you know where you're goingI can honestly state that I have absolutely no fear of death. I'm not saying that I don't fear anything at all. But I'm definitely not afraid of dying. 

But what if you believe in God and you are still fearful about what the future holds? I want you to know that you do not have to live in fear. Let me share just one of the reasons for making this statement and why I am not afraid:

We are coming up to the most sacred time of the year in the calendar - Easter if you are a Christian, Passover if you are a Jew or Messianic. In the Gospel of John in the Christian bible, the apostle writes about how Jesus was getting ready to observe Passover with His disciples, just before His death, and how He wanted to prepare them for the tragic events that were about to unfold – events that would not only cause them sorrow and fear but would fundamentally change the world as they knew it, forever. He told them that He would be going away and that they could not go with Him. He then gave them a new commandment – to love one another as He had loved them, so that by this, all people would know that they were His disciples. Peter asked Him where he was going? …to which He replied:  

“Where I am going you cannot follow Me now, but you will follow later.” (John 13:36)

Peter was astonished and wanted to reassure Jesus that whatever happened he would lay down his life for Him. This was of course a very rash statement to make and Jesus plainly told Peter that he would soon deny Him three times out of fear. This is the apostle Peter we are talking about! And as predicted Peter when he was accused of being one of Jesus' followers denied even knowing Him three times to avoid persecution. From this we can learn that fear can take hold of even the best of us during difficult times. But after admonishing peter,  Jesus went on to tell His disciples not to allow their sorrow after he had to leave them and fear for their lives to take away their peace.  He said:

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. (John 14:1-3)   

Jesus was reassuring them that no matter what was to come, even death, He was going to go away and prepare a place for them so that they could be together with Him in His Father's kingdom forever. And this promise is for all who believe in Him. No matter what comes, even death, we are guaranteed that we will ultimately reside with Jesus in His father's house. This is figurative language, but the meaning is clear. We may be in a dark place right now, but we are going to a far better place and we will reside there for eternity. In the coming days, I urge you to read this conversation between Jesus and His disciples during their last supper together, in its entirety – John 14-17. Here are just a few of Jesus' promises to all who believe in Him. I hope this will lift your spirits.

“I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (John 14:6)

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greaterworks than these he will do, because I go to My Father." (John 14:12)

“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.  (John 14:27)

“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. (John 15:1-2)

If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. (John 15:7)

 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.  (John 15:11-13)

“But now I go away to Him who sent Me … I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:" (John 16:5-8)

“… when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. (John 16:12)  

“Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. (John 16:23)   

Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own [place], and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:32-33)

You see, as believers in Yeshua (Jesus Hebrew name which means savior) we need not fear death or anything that the world may threaten, because our end is certain. We are destined to dwell with our Lord and savior in a better place than this for eternity. Do not let the pervasive fear-mongering and panic that the media constantly spreads take away your joy or your peace. You have been chosen for a greater purpose and for a more wonderful ending. Believe in Yeshua and in all His promises and love one another as He commanded. And let us not refrain from helping others in whatever way we can. As Paul writes:

"So we must not get tired of doing good, for we will reap at the proper time if we don’t give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, we must work for the good of all, especially for those who belong to the household of faith." (Galatians 6:9-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment